STEEL STRUCTURES DESIGN
6th Diploma Exam/Civil/5130/May 2016
STEEL STRUCTURES DESIGN 6th Exam/Civil/5130/May 2016
Duration: 3Hrs. M.Marks:75
Note: Use of IS: 800 and Steel Tables are permitted in examination.
Q1. a) Fill in the blanks. 10×1.5=15
- BIS Code for the design of steel structures is IS 800:2007
- The size of rivet is specify by diameter of shank of the rivet.
- If the nominal diameter of the rivet is 25 mm, its gross diameter = 25+1.5=26.5mm
- The minimum pitch of the rivet is given by =2.5XD
- The size of the fillet weld is specified by effective throat thickness.
- Maximum size of fillet weld for connecting to plates of 10 mm thickness each is 3mm.
- The permissible stress in axial tension for tension members is equal to 0.6fy
- The permissible stresses in field driven rivets are 10% Percent less than those for shop driven rivets.
- Slender ness ratio for a column is given by the ratio of effective length and least value of radius of gyration.
- The permissible deflection in case of a simply supported laterally restrained being of effective Span L is given by l/325.
Q2. Attempt any five questions. 5×6=30
- What are the assumptions in the theory of riveted connections?
- What are the merits of a welded joint over riveted joints?
- How will you calculate the net affected area of a tension member using two angles placed back to back and connected on same side of the gusset plate?
- Define the difference between net affective area and gross area and where each one of them is used.
- Define effective length, radius of gyration and slenderness ratio.
- Write a short note on laterally restrained beams.
- What is a plate girder? When they are used?
- Define pitch, edge distance and gross diameter of rivet.
Q3. Attempt any three questions. 3×10=30
Q3(a). Design a riveted connection to connect 2 plates of 10 mm and 12 mm thickness using IS 800 specifications.
(b) Design a fillet welded joint to connect 2 plates of 200 mm x 10mm and 180mm x8mm. Take permissible stresses in axial tension and shear as 150 and 110 N/mm2 respectively.
(c) Design a tension member to carry an axial load of 1000 KN. Also design the end connection.
Q4.A discontinues angles strut consist of two ISA 90 x 60 x 8 placed back to back and connected on both sides of 10 mm thick gusset plate by using a fillet weld. Calculate its load carrying capacity.
Q5. Design a laterally restrained beam simply supported over a clear span of 4 meters and carrying a super imposed load of 25 KN per meter throughout its span. The permissible stress in bending compression is 165 N/mm2 and shear is 100 N/mm2.
STEEL STRUCTURES DESIGN 6th Exam/Civil/5130/May 2019
Section a :-STEEL STRUCTURES DESIGN
6th Diploma/Civil/5130/May 2019
According to IS 800:1984, Maximum Permissible tensile stress in Steel Sections is ______× fy.
According to IS 800:1984, Maximum Permissible tensile stress in Steel Sections is 0.6× fy.
In IS 800: 1984, Symbol fy represents ____________ stress in Steel.
In IS 800: 1984, Symbol fy represents minimum yield stress in Steel.
For 28mm diameter rivet, the diameter of rivet hole will be ________
For 28mm diameter rivet, the diameter of rivet hole will be 28+2=30mm.
Sectional area of “ISLC 150 @ 141.3 N/m” is _______ mm²
Sectional area of “ISLC 150 @ 141.3 N/m” is 1836 mm².
For 75° Fusion Angle the Effective throat thickness of 6mm welds is ____ mm.
For 75° Fusion Angle the Effective throat thickness of 6mm welds is 2 mm.
Maximum pitch in rivets shall not exceed _______.
Maximum pitch in rivets shall not exceed 30t or 300mm.
Increase in carbon content in steel cause _________.
Increase in carbon content in steel cause decrease ductility.
ΣV = 0, ΣH = 0 and ΣM = 0 are called ________.
ΣV = 0, ΣH = 0 and ΣM = 0 are called equations of equilibrium.
In plate girder Bearing stiffeners are provided at ________.
In plate girder Bearing stiffeners are provided at the support.
Zero bending stress occurs at _________ of Beam.
Zero bending stress occurs at neutral axis of Beam.
b) State True or False.
For Power Driven Shop Rivets (PDSR) allowable shear stress is 100N/mm².
Minimum Pitch Distance in Rivets shall be two times of rivet.
Brittle Failure is not possible in Welding.
Strut is a member subjected to an axial Pull.
STEEL STRUCTURES DESIGN
6th Diploma Exam/Civil/5130/May 2019 PSBTE Diploma Solved Paper May 2019 .
Section B :STEEL STRUCTURES DESIGN
6th Diploma /Civil/5130/May 2019
Draw neat and labeled sketches of Lap Joint, Single Cover Butt Joint & Double cover Butt Joint with Riveted Connections.
Lap Joint, Single Cover Butt Joint & Double cover Butt Joint with Riveted Connections.
Calculate minimum numbers of rivets required to connect a 14mm thick steel flat with a 12mm thick gusset plate to support an axial pull of 230kN for shop fabrication. Also Specify Diameter of Rivets.
What are purlins ?
Differentiate between Clear Span, Effective Span & Total span of a beam with the help of sketches.
What are disadvantages of welding?
Disadvantages of welding
What are laterally restrained beams? Explain with Sketches ?
How depth of Masonry wall foundation is decided?